|"Birds of a feather?"|
|Turkey and guineas "visiting" |
The Hussy and her brood
|Dawn found the turkey still on high|
...only for one night, though.
The Hussy, our mama hen, and her babies continue to thrive. All of the babies are growing like weeds and the one that was originally light colored is losing it's color to brown feathers.
We have transitioned the first 4 that were hatched from our eggs into the general population of chickens. At least one, likely two -- of course the most colorful ones -- appear to be roos so they will be stew pot bound before winter. they have settled in, though.
The banding of current layers from the general population has also commenced and the non-layers... as soon as they are found... will be processed into the stew pot. Thus far, everyone who has actually spent time in the confinement tent has produced an egg, most well before the three day limit. However, I had to switch confinement tents as the last few hens, Americanasa, who were confined managed to escape. I though I had blocked all egress, but apparently not. Last night we swapped the meat birds, who only overnight in confinement anyway, into the "leaky" tent and I was able to grab the supposedly confined bird and put her into their now vacant abode. Hope this works. I do not want to carry "liars" through the winter.
|Hens and ducks in their new digs.|
The pallet assembly continued the "redneck engineering" theme, though they do have some screws holding them together... two for the back, one on each end and two, supported by a 2x3 across the front, on top. After getting the coop structure up, I completed the erection of the fence. Coop extends outside the fence, with abuts it on either side. Two old tarps, almost doubled up, wrap the sides and another very large one, also folded, covers the back, top and hangs down in front. I have secured one corner of the front section of tarp to the pallet roof, to give then chickens a triangular door, a random pole of some sort or another is secured across near the back for a roost and their feeder hangs from the pallet roof, finally out of the rain! I have a cement block holding the front tarp down to keep it from flapping and I can easily roll it off the tarp to collect eggs. I have stapled and tied the tarps down around the coop but still need to drag a few heavy pieces of wood around to help secure the bottom. I had planned to tie it in place, but getting the twine under the pallets is much harder than repurposing a few pieces of wood. Before winter, I plan to give them a proper wooden coop, which will likely be positioned in place of the next fence panel to the east of the current coop, as it will separate this pen and a second one so that the fowl can be rotated during the garden season. That location will give the best access to the remainder of the back field for the tractor, so says Tractor Guy.
We will also be putting a motion light in the back, to help illuminate the pen and coop if a predator comes by again. We had a skunk raid early this morning, which was likely at least partly my fault. I had left eggs in the first nest the hens made, so they would continue to lay there and we got back home after dark last night, in the rain, so I did not go bring the eggs in. Fortunately, Tractor Guy has been awakening well before dawn to hear and investigate a ruckus. He got off a couple of bb shots and then came to wake me. Skunk had gone by the time I got out but had not been annoyed enough to spray. I have a feeling that the little critter may have been "scared shitless" by being shot at though, as I found skunk droppings in the grass when I fed the fowl this morning! LOL
|We called her "The Hussy" because we though she just wanted|
to be with our roo-at-large, but she had other ideas!
Then the turkey hen the we got in trade from a friend who needed a tom decided to brood some eggs as well! Lady Grey hatched out her babies yesterday.
|One of the babies came to see Tractor Guy.|
Mom did not approve.
|Seven little turkeys!|