Follow by Email

Thursday, February 26, 2015

All Fall Down

Big news this week is that, apparently, despite tripping over the dog (old dog, Stormy, the Newfie who looks like a dog bed in the dark) on the way to bed last night and landing FIRMLY on the new knees, I seem to be suffering no serious effects. Yes, I am stiff, in the knees and pretty much all over, but then I did go down hard and jarred the whole body rather solidly.

I was not sure what was going to be on the docket for today, task-wise... trying to decide if a "turtle day" was in order or what I felt like working on when Tractor Guy called me to the back door while he was doing chores. It seems that Christmas, the second broad breasted white turkey, who got a reprieve last year was suffering from the weather, or possibly from not having been butchered early enough. Regardless, it did not appear to be ill and so there was no reason to prolong the inevitable. Butchering a turkey, especially IN the house, was not what I expected for a project but it needed done and so it was.

Knees started feeling more swollen after standing for a couple of hours working on the bird -- even with a sitting break in the middle -- so I iced them while TG made short work of the final clean up. I had managed to contain most of the blood on paper in the pantry -- where I did the deed -- and had gathered up most of the feathers and offal in a bag so all he had to do was a bit of blood removal and vacuuming up the stray down. Bird will age for a couple of days, then most likely I will cut it up and freeze.

Most of the week has been an ongoing attempt to find and sync with whatever the energy level and flow are on any given day. A moving target... LOL  And one that also involved TG's energy levels as well, as he has been fighting unusual pains and what wants to turn into a sinus infection all week. The little Fertility hex sign that was scheduled to post early in the week got delayed on account of his illness, but did finally go.
And once again, the dog yard "moat" had to be shoveled out, on account of some accumulation and considerable blowing and drifting of snow.
Dog yard... before. Note: no dog
Moat being re-dug. Yes,
turkeys on top of their house
supervising!


The last of the onion seeds, the leeks and some celery did get planted this week and the first planting of onions are beginning to show their heads. It will be a LONG time until spring opens up the ground sufficiently for even the early crops to be introduced to the garden, but we will be ready!

And while I am thinking about the next varieties of seed that need to go into blocks (lettuce, tomatoes, peppers and the cole crops are all on the schedule for next month) I have been thinking about kale. I will grow a bit, not a lot but a bit. I have friends who like it and often get veggies from me, even though I am mostly focusing on feeding us. But I have yet to find (or make... I have recipes I have not yet tried) a way of doing kale that I actually like. I got thinking about "super foods" after reading a comment on Facebook from someone asking for a recipe because they were "trying to find ways to like Kale."  So... do we HAVE to like.. or even eat... kale? Or blueberries... or??? any of the so-called super-foods?  Honestly I don't think so. 

Do we need to eat a wide variety of foods, as close to nature as possible, and including green and yellow/orange veggies, whole grains, dairy, proteins... (for myself I would say various muscle and organ meats but I do know that one can be healthy with a balanced vegetarian diet)? Absolutely! But any ONE food?? I seriously doubt it! I looked up the comparative nutrition of kale and other greens and this confirmed my intuition. Mustard greens (which I have seed for but have not yet grown, collards (a southern staple that I never did quite cotton to) and my good friend Swiss chard all come close enough to kale to qualify as good nutrition in my book, especially as any of their "shortcomings" will likely be covered by other things in my diet. 
So, by all means, try foods that are new to you. Who knows, you might like them! But if you don't, I don't think it's any big deal. 
I would, though, encourage everyone to look for the most nutrition for the buck in the things you like. If you don't like the orange winter squash, no biggie. There are carrots (raw or cooked.. did you know "Lightly cooking them actually helps to release the carotenes, which are otherwise trapped."), sweet potatoes (hold the marshmallows... think of them as 'taters with a bit of salt and butter), and so on. Dark green veggies include many lettuces (try a variety... they do not all taste alike!) and spinach (don't like it cooked? try raw in a lettuce salad), broccoli or even cabbage.