Follow by Email

Friday, January 16, 2015

On Faith, and Prayer and Hard Work

This past week found us fighting the elements and the elements, mostly winning.

There are places under the house -- very hard to get to places to be sure -- that the water lines are not insulated. Oh, there was insulation but at one point, before we moved in, someone removed it to work there. Each winter we put lights under that section to produce a wee bit of heat that, with leaving the taps dripping on the coldest nights, mostly keeps the water running. This year our heating lamps elements were burnt out, replacements were not easy to find and the alternative light/heat source, apparently, was insufficient to cope with the serious double digit below zero temperatures and wind chills. The water lines froze up solid, both hot and cold, to every tap in the house. We hauled water, asked every friend in reach, for several days. It really makes no sense to freeze ones body laying on the frozen cement stretched out or scrunched up under a drafty mobile home, and try to thaw pipes when the temperatures and the wind chills persist in the minus-double-digit range.

Normally, we get a January thaw... this year, so it seems thus far, our "thaw" is amounting to a "January-almost-up-to-freezing" but that was enough, after two days of work, for Tractor Guy to be able to finally manage the thaw. Freezing had happened in the line as it comes up from under ground, before entering the pump/pressure tank complex as well as between the works and the taps. It was well after dark yesterday when I heard the sound of water running, first in one tap, then two and eventually both hot and cold lines all 'round ran freely.

It is, once again, BRRRR out there but not so badly as before and we have found replacement bulbs for the lamps. Insulation will be added today and as an added precaution, we will leave the taps running just a bit more freely on the nights when the temps and winds dip and conspire.

It is lovely to know that hot baths can be had again and that washing the dishes, laundry and cleaning the 'fridge and stove will not be more odious chores than normal.  It is especially lovely because all this must be done this week -- along with several other organizational and space making chores -- in advance of my hospitalization next week for double knee replacement.

Yes, as of Monday, Gods willing, I will be writing from the network of the Maine Medical Center in Portland, under the care of Dr. Brian McGrory and the knee replacement team. My right knee will be done on Monday morning, followed by a couple of days of recuperation and physical therapy and then the left knee will be done on Thursday. I plan to be released back to home and hope it will be by Sunday following all this.

As I write this, I know that I will be posting on social media as well, and asking all who are able and willing to put their spiritual shoulders to the wheel and invoke the Powers That Be of their faith tradition on the behalf of Dr. McGrory and his team, and on my behalf, for good results and a strong healing.

You see, I know -- and have seen first hand -- the results of decentralized but focused spiritual efforts. I have stood in more than one hospital room and heard random medical folks comment not only on the accelerated healing of the patient, but also on the "feeling" in the room. Often they cannot put words to what they sense, but indeed it can be sensed even by those who do not know of the efforts being put forth and perhaps would not believe if they did know.

Christians of a diverse range of denominations -- Catholic, Baptist, Pentecostal, Methodist -- as well as Jews, Muslims, Pagans, Heathens and even Atheists and Agnostics, putting their intentions for well being together as a focused lens, do good work.  And yes, Atheists, at least the ones I knew of during the healing events to which I refer, CAN "pray." That is the word they used -- making sure of course that I knew that there was not a God involved -- but noting that they can still put out the energy to the Universe At Large as something greater than "just a wish" that the person they are thinking about be well.

Of course your mileage may vary, as they say.

However, as someone who works with the Divine Energies on a daily basis when painting hex signs, I have found that energy is energy and good will can be universal. And I will ask any and all for the good energies that they can spare in the coming weeks. I have heard "horror stories" of course, but mostly I have heard "you will wish you had undergone the procedure earlier." I have heard, yes, that the physical therapy was the hardest thing the person had ever done and that it hurt like heck -- and also from one double knee patient that she kept waiting for the pain which never came. I think, at least partly, it's a perception thing. But regardless, it will be done and I shall do the healing work as assigned by the medical team, augmented by what my body tells me (likely I will be craving milk and vitamin A-rich veggies). And hopefully will find enough creative things to keep me occupied post op.

I am working hard to complete hex orders before surgery, but will have one 4' sign to complete after I come home and a 1' one as well. This week I completed and shipped three:
Earth Star Flower hex sign

Welcome hex sign

Love and a Happy Home hex sign