Follow by Email

Friday, November 14, 2014

Spinning my Wheel(s) and Being Productive

The week started with a great digression from the big project at hand -- that being the yearbook for the Core Sound Waterfowl Museum & Heritage Center in North Carolina -- as I had previously committed to a stint as a volunteer spinner doing demos for the much closer Page Farm and Home Museum at the University of Maine in Orono. Silly me, though, when I volunteered to do the demo at the Harvest Festival, I thought this was an event AT the university/museum... It didn't even dawn on me when I heard an ad for the Maine Harvest Festival that I would be working this large, popular event. Instead I wondered at the wisdom of the University scheduling their event on the same weekend! Fortunately I DID get a clue Friday night and though I was a bit panic-y at the thought of having to brave getting my stuff to that venue, I was committed so off I went.

Now, a bit of explanation... the Festival was being held at the relatively new Cross Center, which replaced the old auditorium in Bangor, and I had previously been to only one event there... a Mannheim Steamroller Christmas concert last year. At that time I was highly UNimpressed with the layout of the auditorium, parking and traffic flow. To say the I expected to find Saturday morning to be a massive "cluster-beep" is vastly understating my expectations. And my previous venture into the world of the presenter was at the MOFGA Common Ground Fair this fall, which was a most stressful day.
I am happy to report that, for this event at least, the Cross Center had it under control. I easily found a place to park the truck, it was a short haul into the auditorium with my stuff -- I was allowed to bring some hex materials to display along with my wheel, which tied in on account of the hex design painted on it -- and they had no problem with my using the small cart, dirt and manure in the wheels to boot, to move the stuff.

I spent a wonderful 6 hours spinning and talking to many folks who came through the event about fiber, history (though I do need to bone up a bit!) and hex signs. I even gave away a few business cards... hoping that some orders come from it!

The next day, though, it was back in the trenches with Core Sound, and with a few long evenings, I was able to send the book off to press in record time on Wednesday! Under two weeks to complete the layout of a 54 page book -- with all of the content being delivered in bits duirng those two weeks -- is not only a record for our collaboration, but made more so due to having been out of contact for 4 days after the nor'easter that took out our power!

During the time I am working on the book -- always a short deadline project -- pretty much everything else gets left undone. I did manage to squeeze in a round or two of laundry -- an essential chore that must be dovetailed with the weather during the winter especially when one prefers to "hang out." But having started the readjustment of work spaces at the end of the power outage -- but not having it complete -- has made for ever more domestic chaos during the week. I am looking forward to beating THAT into submission in the week to come.

Hex painting, too, has had to take a back seat, although a bit of progress has been made. I should have a small Welcome ready to ship Monday and the next to signs in the queue are halfway primed at present.

I did get the garlic planted yesterday (the latest it has gone in the ground EVER) though it still needs to be mulched and we dug most of the carrots. Carrots are waiting in the big cart in the garage for me to go through them, brush off the (hopefully drier) earth, remove tops and gather them into a storage container.


Frigga's Day snow, early morning.
Stormy explores early morning snow --
not as deep as the nor'easter brought, though.
This week coming should allow me to beat down the house work and complete some of the pending outside chores. There is mulch to be laid and I need to make a couple of pallet-and-tarp poultry houses. I have been moving the tent that the young layers occupy a bit closer to their final destination each morning and after the houses are assembled, we will move the turkey pen around back as well. Fowl pens will occupy the space to the right of the lilac bush in the pic to the left, for the winter and we will store the grain on the back porch.

I love the newly fallen snow when it blankets everything and still clings to trees and brush. And I am very glad that Boo, the Subaru, is back in the lineup, with a new starter.