Follow by Email

Friday, November 21, 2014

Dark Moon Approaches

12" exterior
Welcome to the week's musings!  To the left is the 12" Welcome hex sign that shipped this week, to NY. Also on their way, today, the Protection and Earth Star Flower signs. It's been a busy week in the cycle of the hex studio!

All of life is cycles. Heck, LIFE is a cycle... and in an effort to keep things rolling along, I have adopted, some time over the past months, a cycle of release, of de-junking, re-homing, of clearing out cob webs and making room, passing along heirlooms that were only taking up space and using the cycles of the moon as a rhythm and timing for the hauling of trash and recycles.

And Saturday the Dark Moon cometh, so this has been the week of release. I passed along a tote full of video game systems and games, which had been given to me by a friend for just this purpose, as she re-homed the odds and ends collected as part of a messy divorce. She wanted to be free of the residual energies and I had offered to act as a clearing house (in many senses) for her extra stuff. The tote was handed off to a young family with three kids, a hard working dad and a stay-to-home homeschooling mom who struggle with all of the issues that I know well from walking in those shoes -- and who, also, enjoy the same blessings that my family did during those days. It was a great joy to be able to help.

Additionally, as I shut down my design business, I have been collecting an amazingly large quantity of "business stuff" that I no longer need... file folders in massive quantities, odd-size envelopes by the dozens, odd bits of this and that... which might prove useful to someone and most of which are still in pristine condition. These odd ends have been collecting in a box for several weeks as I have been putting the new workspace back together and being joined by some other odds and ends, made up a full, huge dog food bag to be carried to the charity store. Of course I KEPT all the paper. You realize that means reams and reams of it, is sizes from half sheet stationery to tabloid size for the printer... and various specialty papers as well as ink jet t-shirt transfers and the like. Having grown up in a house where Dad brought paper home by the ream and the stash often included large heavy sheets designed for drafting (which he taught) and even Mylar, a house without an abundance of paper is a very scary place to be, in my world at least!

Now, the collection box sits empty, awaiting the next month's load and the blessings have been passed along.

Since the local dump and recycling center is only open certain days of the week, today will be the day to carry the small load of recycles and trash to that facility. If you have been reading this blog for very long, you likely know that I despise waste and have been hard at work on "waste minimization protocols" for many years. I feel like there is still much progress that I can make, despite having far, FAR less to haul off than a typical household. The fact that we can easily haul our trash to the dump in the back of a Subaru, monthly would be incomprehensible, I suspect, to those living in many of the homes I pass on my trips to town. I see that much trash -- or more -- piled in bags at the curb on trash day every week at some homes.
I am still set on my course to minimize, and hopefully eventually eliminate, the collection of containers that are not accepted for recycle here. My center takes only plastics of the #2 variety, which eliminates all of the clear plastics, which are so abundant on the grocers' shelves. This week, I bought a gallon of mayonnaise, which is the smallest size that is packaged in #2 (the small quantities that are sold in glass jars at the health food store are outrageous in price) and we will see how that works. If it will keep well enough, even in the winter when we use much less of this condiment, this will be a solution. If not, I'll have to either make a commitment to making it or buying the expensive glass jars. Making would be my choice, since when I use it, it's usually as an ingredient -- in tuna salad for example. However, Tractor Guy often uses it as a spread, on hamburgers, other sandwiches, etc. which would not work terribly well with have to make even a one-egg batch each time. But time will tell. At this point, I have not accumulated too much non-recycleable plastic... maybe a big dog food bag full... and the quantity will decrease more when the last two large plastic bottles of lemon juice are used up and I begin buying actual lemons for TG to use in his tea. I am thankful that he has gone back
home of the Frigga fires
to drinking iced tea -- as opposed to lemonade -- for his go-to beverage, both on ecological and economic fronts, though I do wish that he could just drink water. I guess I was raised funny and I know I see the world really differently, but it just never has made sense to me that one should need to have flavor and sweetness in EVERYTHING.

And, to round out the week of release, will be my Frigga fire tonight, which uses up the odd bits of accumulated paper and wood which will burn in my outside fire place as I sit with the Ladies.
Maine Grains 40# oats, L
50# sifted whole wheat flour, R
On a totally different note, we spent Wednesday on a road trip to Skowhegan to acquire 50 pounds of flour and 40 pounds of rolled oats from a business I have been wanting to support since its inception, Maine Grains. Local grain, locally processed, organic (not certified) and hopefully the large quantities will last 6 months or so, and make the trip worth it.