Follow by Email

Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Garden Emerges!

Garden, February 6, 2014
It is hard to believe how quickly the snow is departing, now that it has finally decided that spring has come. Until just recently, the garden looked pretty much like it did in this picture from early February... though the snow pack did build up a lot after that date. We had a good 24" and much higher drifts.

Much of the snow pack was sufficiently dense and packed that I could walk on it without breaking through, though I often grabbed my snow shoes for traction and a bit of insurance against stepping into a weak place. Breaking through a 2' snow pack is no fun with short legs and wimpy knees! ... No, don't bother to ask me how I know that! ;) 



April 11, 2014 -- serious melt happened since yesterday!
Yesterday late afternoon, the picture was very different, as you can see! Over the past week, daytime temperatures above freezing, though it fell to freezing or a bit below over night, was gradually eating away at the ground cover. I could tell when hung the wash; at the peak of the snow cover, I was reaching DOWN to pin things onto the clotheslines and getting very creative when I needed to hang bed linens. Earlier this week, though, the lines were almost back to their regular height and where I broke through the snow, it wasn't even boot-high on my faux Uggs.

April 12, 2014 -- what a difference a day makes!
When I arrived home from the East Sangerville Grange today, after the Cultivating Community 2014 meeting, I was not terribly surprised to find that the garden had totally emerged from its winter blanket, as the temperatures were in the low 60s today! Mind you, it's still likely frozen just below the surface, and we still have Mud Season to deal with, but soon, very soon, we will be able to cultivate and plant! I'll start taking soil temperatures this week, twice a week to start, I think, since an accurate reading requires early and mid-day readings to be averaged. I'll take the thermometer down before I head into town for work in the early morning on Tuesdays and Fridays, and check it again mid-afternoon.

Grow rack today... some of these guys are getting anxious to go out!
The onions and leeks (top shelf) need to be trimmed again! The celery (middle left) and many of the other seedlings will be glad when it's time to go outdoors. And I'll be glad to get them out there; it's time to start the second batch of lettuces and all of the tomatoes!