Follow by Email

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Halfway point

The "Year of Transition" is at the halfway mark, and I can feel the tide turning.

Every fiber of my being has threads that pull it to stay on the farm. As I add to my new routines -- connecting more strongly to the natural cycles of sun and moon, of sun and storm -- it is slowly becoming less desirable to run life by the clock and the schedules of commerce.

Admittedly, I was never as strongly tied to the common culture markers of time. At times in my life I tried to learn to wear a watch but it never lasted for long. The ebb and flow of the sun and moon always had a stronger call, and even when living in the city and working a typical 9-5, 40 hour a week job, I could tell the time -- accurately enough for my purposes -- as well by the light levels and positions of the orbs as I needed. And once I was no longer responsible for the social obligations of a family living in the mundane world, most of the man-made holidays faded from my gaze.

It is not easy making progress with the things that require monetary income with the fewer hours on my town job schedule, but looking at the 3-day weeks coming, and the two day week I am in at present, the next two days (and the coming Wednesdays-Thursday off combinations) have a sense of growing familiarity. This is what life soon will be like! And I am liking it!

I have almost always had "many irons in the fire," but being able to juggle them with fewer constraints by artificial and imposed schedules allows me to pursue many interests and projects without stress.

Stress has been a BIG factor the last few days. There have been hangups with the repair of my truck (yes, yet again!) and the car had to be pulled from service for an emergency brake job. This is a big deal, as something made at least one of them begin to self-destruct. Big deal in the working and bigger deal in affording the parts and stressful because with no working car and no working truck and no third-level backup, and living way far from work... and needing to get to work... well I think you get the drift. It took time (which it didn't really feel like we had) and money (that it really didn't look like we had) and help from friends (which, thankfully we DO have some of... but, being me, yanno, I hate asking....) to get to where we can slowly begin moving forward again.

And the inevitable waiting, of course, when in this sort of pickle, just makes it hard to even try to move forward.

I had hoped to post the Love and Happy Home hex that I just completed, and had hoped to pick up plywood to cut the 4' sign that I have on order, but neither was to happen today. Despite having loads of cardboard in the garage, I did not have the gumption to fight my way back to it and drag it into the house through the rain, so I hauled the hex to town when I went to work in the borrowed truck, hoping (as is most often the case) to be able to grab a large piece of cardboard from the warehouse at the store... but as luck would have it today, of all days, there was none. And the parts payments might have left enough money for plywood since I didn't have to spend any on shipping today -- except that getting all the right stuff at the parts store (never my most favorite job) left me so frazzled that I didn't even think to stop at the big box lumber yard, where I could have got the wood cut in half so it would fit in the truck bed (full size pickup, but the bed contains a huge tool box and would not have easily carried an 8' sheet of plywood). I was thinking of "just picking it up" at my usual source for better quality wood, a local yard that is on a road near where i was returning the truck. Silly me, they only sell full pieces, which at least I remembered before stopping there.

Sigh

Well, soon we will have wheels again, I CAN strap plywood on the roof of the Subaru, can post the hex from here in town after the brakes are done and I will have dry and warmer weather in which to extract the packing material from the garage.

Meanwhile, I have a 1' hex order, and am designing one in trade for some young ducks, as well as reworking one that got slightly damaged on the edge in transit and was returned for replacement. that sign, and several of my earlier works -- painted on barn boards and cheese boxes -- will go up on the web site this week, "available for immediate delivery." I have also started drawing my new design for the year, a Maine themed hex for sweetnees and smooth sailing in life, and the quiet strength to make it so.