Follow by Email

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Invoke Positive Change with the Moon

With the new moon tomorrow, we can begin a new cycle of creation. I recently suggested to a friend who is nearing the end of her available unemployment compensation, and who also enjoys gardening, that she find and plant a few seeds of some plant that will grow in her climate, that evokes in her mind a feeling of abundance. While it is still just a bit early to start most of our garden seedlings here in the far north, I know many folks who start just a few of something for symbolic reasons, either in their greenhouses or in a warm place on a sunny window sill, where they can supply a bit of extra light during our short winter days. For me, the waxing moon, which approaches us soon, is the time for bringing forth... for setting things in motion. In two weeks we will see the waning moon, and it will again be time to clean, organize, sort, and carry off the things that occupy space and mind but whose time in our lives has passed. I also would like to share what has come to me over the past couple of weeks while I focused on "de-junking." A thought came to me, as I have been struggling through the past "crazy season" of working in retail and trying -- somewhat less than successfully -- to maintain a routine of devotions to Frigga on her day. Perhaps I should try beginning my more intense focus on Frigga on the EVE of her day, Thursday night, which might set my mind more in a path in keeping with the day when it dawned. The jury is still out, but for the last couple of weeks, I have lit my Frigga candle on the small altar on my kitchen chopping block as I began to prepare our evening meal. I lit the stove burners from Her candle, with thanks, and worked on my spinning wheel the first week and spun tonight, while supper cooked. I don't tend to get so caught up in the spinning that I burn dinner (which is serious problem when I am working at the computer, even when I am sitting with it, in sight of the stove. And, I have found, each of my hand carded wool bats contains just enough wool too make it easy to time the kitchen breaks to stir or monitor the cooking.