Follow by Email

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Weaving Life

Strings, threads, weaving, warp and weft... spinning, carding... spiritual concepts all, at least in my world. As a follower of Frigga, the Norse Goddess who is often pictured as she "diligently plied her wheel or distaff, spinning golden thread or weaving long webs of bright-coloured clouds." The more I walk this path, the stronger my urge to card, spin and weave. I have only this year acquired a spinning wheel, having previously used a drop spindle and -- long before -- a Navajo spindle, for which sitting on the ground is required. None of that for me, now, sad to say, though this large tool often graces my altar.

Unfortunately, even used spinning and weaving tools are often quite dear, even those that do not have all their parts. I looked at many "antique" spinning wheels that were missing all of the essential ingredients to make the them actually tools and most of the sellers were not even aware the wheels would not work. My first wheel came cross country, the gift of a friend who was downsizing prior to a major move. And then, shortly after that wheel started its cross-country journey, being carried "underground railroad style" by an assortment of fiber and/or spiritual fellow travelers, I was able to buy a simple, new, wheel kit, which I am working to assemble.

Still I had hopes for a loom but these things run 10 times the price of the wheels and far beyond any budget item. Always the optimist, I kept looking on the online sales sites for our local community papers and such and yesterday found a floor loom, rug loom to be exact, offered for only $50. I jumped on calling, left a voice mail and got a phone call back from the owner of the number, saying they had no placed the ad and had no loom! The ad did give the option for email (though here in Maine, if there is a phone number offered, it is best to use it, for the average Mainer seems to be less obsessed with checking email than average. It took a day, but the owner did get back to me today and sent pictures of the loom. It is huge, heavy and hopefully MINE soon! Since we just put in the sliding glass door, we SHOULD be able to remove the non-sliding panel and get it into the house. Where it will go then is anyone's guess, but I am promising myself this is the last BIG tool I will acquire.

Other threads of life are coming to an end and getting tied off. Yesterday I dug beets and today carried a large bag of them to a friend, fulfilling a promise made after she gave me a ride to and from town when the car was in the shop. One of the beets was a bit odd... Yes this is ONE beet with TWO tops!
While I am writing about threads getting tied off, one that is close to that stage is the porch and door/window replacement. You can see the new (to us) slider. It came from the Habitat for Humanity ReStore last year, a good, solid Anderson unit for around $50! The panel at the right is our old door; yes, it is held together with tie down straps (K's answer to duct tape) and it survived that way through the winter, as he was not up to the door install last fall, winter was too cold, spring too busy with the garden and summer too hot. With the help of a friend, though, we got the "replacement" slider in and soon the failing panel will be replaced with a reasonably solid twin (currently hanging on a makeshift shed built by the previous owner) which will be mounted as an un-opening window. The deck needs railing and handrails on the steps as well, but as you can see it already is hard at work as a plant platform (that's my bay laurel and a couple of planters of herbs) and loading dock.

I spent a good day after work today in errands and visits (though just realized I forgot the post office box trip) and it's now time to think supper, painting and maybe a bit of work on the fowl housing design.