Follow by Email

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

On Getting Caught Up

Sometimes -- heck, around here OFTEN -- life is like that. The best of intentions get digressed from for the best of reasons. The best thing to do it pick up the thread again when you find it and got to weaving, spinning, knitting, sewing... again.

My off-the-farm work has been kicking my butt with longer hours and yet not a bit of progress in getting caught up. They just keep adding more projects and then along comes stock that was not properly price stickered to be in the place is it destined for so additional work not only to re-sticker, but to document the necessity for the task so that my company can recoup the expense by billing the ones who supplied the improperly labeled products.  Documentation requested more than doubled the time to do the job. GRRRR.

However on that front (fingers crossed) it looks like I will be in a good position tomorrow to finally get a lot of the backlog of stuff onto the shelves. That will take a load off my mind, as I really dislike being behind in what seems to be just about every aspect of my life. If I am reasonably caught up at work, having hex orders waiting, home improvement projects in process and general housekeeping undone does not vex me nearly so badly. I always have too many irons in the fire. Always have. So NOT being behind is not an option, but keeping it in balance is a constant goal.

Everything in my life has to dovetail around things that CANNOT be moved in time and space.  When seeds need to be started and seedlings planted out; when weeds need to be pulled, crops harvested and put by... those are controlled by the seasons and the weather variations and they set the rhythm of my life. Certain big design projects continue to come back year after year (and I thank the Gods for faithful clients!) and in each of their seasons, they add to the non-negotiable tasks (and the bank account!) The season for one of them is at hand, the yearbook for the Core Sound Waterfowl Museum & Heritage Center. This wonderful project is published every year, in time for the museum's yearly festival, Waterfowl Weekend, which happens the first weekend in December each year. The festivities kick off with a special Friday night preview for members and guests with a wonderful buffet of local seafood and game dishes and this year the project time line is scrunched a bit as the preview night is November 30. The museum director, staff and I work collaboratively (they are in North Carolina, I am in Maine) via a blizzard of emails, a few faxes and lots of large file transfers. Putting together a book that will run over 100 pages... in less than a month... is not a job for wimps!

Edited to add: I also realized today that laundry is another task that keeps me in tune with my environment but is also driven by the unnatural schedule of work. Since I have chosen to only "hang out" ... or on racks inside if necessary... I time my laundry days around "good drying days" and hope to find them on days when I do not have to work first. Sometimes I end  up doing a load the evening before and having my Tractor Guy hang it out. I don't like to do this because (a) he is not as in tune with this chore as I am and can forget and (b) walking is very difficult for him and the line is not near his regular morning chore route. Today, though, I had a load for him (sheets) and then did my white work shirts and the rest of the wash when I got home. I needed the shirts to get dry, because not only do I not own a dryer, I don't even have an electric iron right now, nor a decent way to heat the old fashioned metal, non-electric "sad irons" that I used in my "beyond the sidewalks" days. Yes, I still have them and yes, push come to shove I COULD iron white with them. Used to regularly iron a white hospital uniform for the kids' dad, back in the day. Good news is that the flannel sheets were dry when I took my whites out and the white shirts (and likely other things, but the shirts were the only essentials) were dry before the end of the day. I love my new, efficient washer! Not only has it had a very significant positive effect on the electric bill (and with only the two of us, and not doing more than a few loads a week, this is remarkable) but as it uses much less water, and therefore calls for much less soap.. and will make use of the soap/borax/baking soda/washing soda mix I make up, it is economical all round. Plus is has an "extra good spin" cycle addition that I have been using when I need to hang indoors or on days that are less than optimal.. cool, not sunny, etc.

And, of course, the tide of Winter Finding is upon us, pushing me to get proper housing built for the ducks and hens, pushing me to push Tractor Guy to get the big machine (which has some overheating problems we have yet to solve) up and running sufficiently to mow and till, and in general to get things set right so we can winter comfortably.

So that's what been up. Hopefully I will have a better track record on the blogging as we roll down to Halloween.